Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Squirrels

During the summer, campus is nearly deserted. Shortly after 7:00 in the morning, it is so deserted that one could virtually go streaking across campus (if they were so inclined) without getting caught. It was because of this desertedness that I was startled on Thursday morning by a noise near the construction dumpster as I was on my way to class for a final round of studying before my first test.

I had just exited the parking structure and crossed the street to cut through a small parking lot near my building. A nearby building is being worked on and the construction dumpster takes up a portion of the parking lot. The street was deserted, and I had seen not a soul anywhere. As I was passing by the dumpster, I heard a noise that seemed awfully loud in the still morning. I took a few more steps toward the end of the dumpster and caught sight of an empty plastic peanut butter jar bouncing its way to the curb.

I looked up and there, peering mournfully over the edge of the dumpster, was a squirrel. He had lost his peanut butter jar. I stood there watching him to see what he would do. His alternating glances between the peanut butter jar and me kept him frozen in place as if he dared not move. Since there wasn’t any action going on, I moved on to class, a bit charmed by the squirrel with the peanut butter jar.

After I had taken my test, I retraced my steps to my car. As I approached the dumpster, I was amused to find that the squirrel had descended from the dumpster and was nibbling on the jar. He had literally eaten a hole in the bottom of the jar. As I stood there watching, he made an attempt or two at sticking his head in the jar, but the opening was just a bit snug, which had led to his determined nibbling on the bottom part of the jar.

I stood there for several minutes watching him. During that time, I watched a buddy come and try to share the jar, which was totally unacceptable to the owner of the jar. He made a buzzing growl of sorts, and his buddy backed off. Several more attempts were unsuccessful, so his buddy went in search of other things. I glanced to my right and saw another squirrel walking away with a peanut butter cracker in its mouth. A glance to my left revealed a sight that I’d never seen before coming to Western—a white squirrel.

I think the squirrels add such a charm to the place. Someday I’d like to get a picture of one of the white ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home